4 egg whites
225gm caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 rounded tbsp cocoa
extra-thick cream to serve
- Heat the oven to 150'c. Line a solid baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Put the egg whites and caster sugar in a large heatproof bowl and sit over a pan of simmering water. Don't let the bottom of the bowl touch the water or the egg whites will scramble. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is quite hot to the touch, then immediately remove from the heat. Whisk, using a hand-held electric whisk, for about 10-15mins until the meringue is very thick, white and glossy. Add the cornflour and mix.
- Sieve in the cocoa powder and , using a large metal spoon, lightly fold into the merigue using 2 or 3 strokes. Don't mix it thoroughly.
- Spoon the meringue onto the prepared baking sheet in a large 6 large spoonfuls, making each one as peaky as possible.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven, reduce the oven to 120'c and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues inside until completely cold. Serve with extra-thick cream.
Chicken With Red Peppers
Recipe by Rohani Jelani (by the way, always love rohani jelani's food's picture.. but in taste department, amy beh's recipes usually fares better.. this recipe is quite bland for malaysians' taste buds but some change once a while, is good, rite?..)
This quick one-dish meal is simplicity itself!
800g free-range chicken, cut into large serving pieces
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
3 tbsp plain flour
3 tbsp oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 large, ripe tomatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
400 ml light chicken stock
2 tsp tomato paste
2 medium-sized red peppers (capsicum)
Salt and pepper to taste
Clean chicken and wipe dry. Rub chicken pieces with salt and pepper and dip in flour, shaking off excess.
Heat oil in a roomy pan and panfry chicken over medium heat, a few pieces at a time, until golden brown (the chicken does not need to cook through). Remove the chicken pieces onto a dish as they cook.
When all the chicken has been browned, add the chopped garlic to the pan and cook till softened before adding the tomatoes. Cook for a few minutes before returning the chicken pieces to the pan. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer on low heat until chicken is tender.
Add the tomato paste and capsicum (remove pith and cut into 0.5 cm strips) and cook until capsicum is wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. If liked, sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Serve with boiled pasta, rice or crusty bread